Welcome to Eamont Bridge
Among recent gifts to Penrith and Eden Museum are a pair of pewter tankards (half pint and pint), which were in use for many years at the ‘Welcome Inn’ Eamont Bridge, when it was run by innkeeper Joseph Hayton (1856-1916).
Image show 1 pint pewter tankard with hen pecking at corn decoration.
The pint sixed one is engraved with the interesting design of a hen pecking at corn. They are, incidentally, a reminder of an earlier pewter-making heritage.
Arguably the most celebrated of the local pewterers was Abraham Crawley (1698-1760) who owned property in Penrith and Eamont Bridge, the latter coming to him through his second marriage to Dorothy Harrison, blacksmith of the hamlet.
Image 2 shows a 1/2 pint pewter tankard
The entry for the Inn on the 1891 Census tells us that Joseph Hayton was born in Calbeck and was living at the Inn with his wife Hannah (nee Potts, 1857-1946) and their five children – a sixth being added by the time of the 1901 Census.
Image 3 shows Hannah and Joseph Hayton, of Eamont Bridge, photographed sitting at a table.
When it closed in 1913 it was in the ownership of Glassons Brewery of Penrith. For many years a large panel showing an Englishman shaking hands with a kilted Scotsman was fixed underneath the sign-board and legend has it that it was the work of the amateur painter John Thompson (1829-1915) who ran a hairdressing business in Angel Lane, Penrith. While the Inn was usually called the ‘Welcome Inn’ or the ‘Welcome into Cumberland Inn’ the signboard as it appears in early photographs and drawings proclaims it to be the ‘Welcome Here in Cumberland’
When he was not pulling pints Joseph Hayton was probably coaching or managing the Eamont Rovers Football Team judging by a photograph which accompanied the gift which shows him standing (back row, far left) wearing a bowler hat. Taken by photographer E. MacDonald of Penrith and Appleby it commemorates the teams winning the Penrith and District Cup in the 1901-1902 season.
The donor of this material, a descendant of Joseph, also presented a photographic postcard circa 1900 of ‘Eamont Bridge Mill, Eamont Bridge’ published by ‘Reed’s Pictorial’ of Penrith showing the Low Mill, its yard and outhouses and a working man looking down into mill race. The mill is known to have been used for grinding corn and tobacco tailings for snuff.